A day finding characters, making characters, turning ourselves into wild and wonderful things: a mixture of working with found and natural materials with alternatives using more traditional materials. Through the day we would use natural resources as far as possible.
This workshop sets out to offer participants the opportunity to try ideas for themselves, inviting them to experiment, to try and maybe to fail but with that to learn and refine activities. Activities are designed to be used with groups on relatively short sessions so we will work with quick techniques, readily available and easily managed materials and skills that can be taught easily and will transfer so that participants from schools or public events can take ideas away and repeat them
Activities will include
• instant characters: quick puppets to make and take - the beginnings of adventures
• one eye and a hand: improvising with natural materials: activities to improvise with on a walk perhaps, introducing some basic principles about characters and animations
• introducing ourselves: activities to give new characters something to say
• taking time to make: more intricate constructions from found materials, woven faces, peeking eyes and wandering twigfolk
• a set of sinister shadows? an opportunity for a quick experiment with shadow puppets and how we might use them outdoors: mixing natural material with careful construction
• taking time to experiment: opportunity to experiment with quick card-sculpture masks and huge faces and a variety of puppet forms, sharing our own experiences and skills
Course Leader - Gordon MacLellan
One of the best-known trainers in the UK, Gordon is a freelance community environmental arts worker and author of ‘Talking to the Earth’ & ‘Sacred Animals’.
* rates for individuals / voluntary-charitable organisations / businesses
For late availability and/or last minute bookings please call 07919 093784
Cancellations: no refunds or credits for cancellations <28 days - please see our terms & conditions for full details
Please call 01803 868269 or email us if you are interested in joining this workshop.